Being a black belt is about more than being physically proficient. A black belt is a role model, a leader within the school and someone who gives back to others. The following people have achieved black belt status under Master Tammy Parlour.2nd degree black belts = Jo-saboumnim (Assistant instructor)
1st degree black belts
Etiquette / how to address a black belt
Black belts are referred to as Mr. or Ms. and their last name. More senior black belts also hold the following rank:
- 2nd dan = Assistant Instructor = Jo-saboumnim
- 3rd dan = Deputy Instructor = Boo-saboumnim
- 4th dan = Internationally recognised instructor level = Saboumnim (pronounced sob – bum – nim). Saboumnim means ‘teacher’. To differentiate between one instructor and another, use the last name, for example: Jones Saboumnim.
- 5th dan = Junior Master. Has authority to grade students.
- 6th dan (and above) = Independent Master = Kwanjangnim (pronounced kwan – jahng – nim). Kwan-jang-nim means ‘school owner’. Our school/style is ‘Wol Ge Kwan’.