Being a black belt is about more than being physically proficient. A black belt is a role model, a leader within the school and someone who gives back to others.
Our Hapkido Black Belts
The following people have achieved black belt status under Master Tammy Parlour.
Click individual tabs to reveal each black belt dan level.
[su_tab title=”1st Dan”]
Chris Lee Tan
[su_tab title=”2nd Dan”]
At our martial art school we follow traditional Korean practice. Black belts are referred to as Mr. or Ms. and their last name. More senior black belts also hold the following rank:
- 2nd dan = Assistant Instructor = Jo-saboumnim
- 3rd dan = Deputy Instructor = Boo-saboumnim
- 4th dan = Internationally recognised instructor level = Saboumnim (pronounced sob – bum – nim). Saboumnim means ‘teacher’. To differentiate between one instructor and another, use the last name, for example: Jones Saboumnim.
- 5th dan = Junior Master. Has authority to grade students.
- 6th dan (and above) = Independent Master = Kwanjangnim (pronounced kwan – jahng – nim). Kwan-jang-nim means ‘school owner’. Our school/style is ‘Wol Ge Kwan’.