Our Hapkido Master
I started training under first generation Hapkido Grandmaster Gedo Chang when I was 13 and have remained a student of his for almost 35 years. I set up Chang’s Hapkido Academy UK in the early 90s and run our London school.
Aside from the enjoyment I get from being physically active, one thing that draws me to Hapkido is the constant learning it provides. It challenges me physically, but has also pushed me to grow and develop in every aspect of my life. As an instructor I aim to create an environment which supports my students’ growth and encourages them to express themselves more fully.
I have written a book on Ki Meditation, hold a Master’s degree in strength & conditioning and have pursued post-graduate study into Applied Sport Psychology. My background is as a learning & development professional, and I currently act as joint-CEO of a national sports charity which I co-founded following the London Olympics. In my spare time I compete in Powerlifting as a masters athlete.
Find out about the leadership workshops I run, here. Read my blog here. Listen to an excerpt from a lecture I did for the Wellcome Trust’s series on ‘Sport and the Mind’ here. And join me on an exploration into performance by subscribing to my podcast here.
Master Tammy Parlour
Articles/info on Master Parlour and the London school
- Kudos Sport interview with Tammy Parlour, 17 July 2017
- Master Parlour features in the ‘Top 20 most influential women in British sport’ . The Telegraph, 19 June 2017.
- Master Parlour sits on the BBC’s 100 women steering group (2017).
- Exhibition Celebrating the Unsung Heroes of LGBT+ History. Tammy Parlour and her partner were included for their work in women’s sport. Read more about the exhibition here. See a pdf of the exhibition here. 19 February 2017
- Episode One: Master Tammy Parlour, The All Things Risk Podcast, 24 Jan 2016
- Sure beats a spin class, Metro UK, May 2015
- ‘Awe Inspiring Women’ series (part of the Volvo film competition). Tammy Parlour
- Martial arts and the mind, The Wellcome Trust, June 2012
- How to overcome stress with meditation, Metro, March 2011
- Finding the Ki to happiness, Kindred Spirit Magazine, May/June 2009
- Hapkido (aka Lady Kungfu), Hong Kong Legends DVD – Special Feature, 2006
- Martial heritage seminar, Martial Arts Illustrated, October 2006
- London Metro Article, November 2004
- Interview with Hapkido Instructor Tammy Parlour, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, Oct 2002
- Interview with Grandmaster Chang, Tammy Parlour, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, April 1999
- Two of our black belts discuss the benefits of Hapkido outside the dojang, May 2016. Listen here.
- ‘Sacred Spaces – The place where one practises the way’, Blog, December 2015.
- The power of deliberate practice, Blog, September 2012.
- Compassion in martial arts training, Blog, June 2012
- Developing power by overcoming fear, Combat Magazine, March 2008
- The Key to Performing Expertly, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, December 2001
- Awakening to Hapkido Philosophy, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, July 1999
Ship Up, or Shape Out, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, January 1997
Train for the Present, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, January 1997
- Hapkido World, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, November 1996
- Excellence is a Habit, TKD & Korean Martial Arts, September 1996